Can name-translating Views Slow Down a Query Plan?

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

mgessner

Can name-translating Views Slow Down a Query Plan?

Post by mgessner » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi All -
We are building a new sort of departmental warehouse, where projects already in flight will onboard.
We are implementing a new, more user friendly, naming convention for database objects and their columns.
Onboarding projects already in flight want to use their old-style column and table names for starters, and migrate to the new naming convention later. End users of the database, however, need to see the new style column and table names on the front ends.
We are envisioning the implementation of views (read-only) that project all columns of the old-style named table, but with the new-style names.
I would expect Vertica's query compiler to resolve the view - to -table translation first, then to compile the actual query and optimise it.
Has anyone out there done something similar, and what were your findings?
Thanks for any hints in advance -
Marco

scutter
Master
Master

Re: Can name-translating Views Slow Down a Query Plan?

Post by scutter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:44 pm

The column name translations won’t slow things down. In the past, there have been some performance issues with queries on views sometimes not being optimized as efficiently as possible. I haven’t come across any such cases recently, so I wouldn’t expect your views to introduce any performance issues.

—Sharon
Sharon Cutter
Vertica Consultant, Zazz Technologies LLC

Return to “General”