how to learn Vertica

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

kodakalla

how to learn Vertica

Post by kodakalla » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi everyone,
this is my first post. As the subject says, I am new to Vertica. I would like to hear from you all on how to learn vertica.
1) I downloaded all vertica 7 manuals and started reading.
2) on safarionline, i see only one book on vertica (HP vertica essentials).
3) I found this forum today.

I have been working on oracle for more than 10 years and now want to learn vertica , start with development and may be DBA stuff too.
Thank You
Giri

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Re: how to learn Vertica

Post by NorbertKrupa » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:59 pm

The first thing you need to familiarize yourself with is the architecture. This 12-page paper elegantly outlines how Vertica came to be from C-Store as well as other essential components of its architecture:
  • Design Overview
  • Projections
  • Join Indexes
  • Prejoin Projections
  • Encoding and Compression
  • Partitioning
  • Segmentation: Cluster Distribution
  • Read and Write Optimized Stores
  • Tuple Mover
  • Updates and Transactions
  • Epoch Management
  • Cluster Integrity
  • Query Operations
  • Automatic Physical Design
This will give you the foundation for understanding the platform. As far as the market, the platform is currently being used in finance, telco, retail, healthcare, energy, advertising, gaming, social media (Facebook & Twitter), and government industries. Vertica is becoming a replacement for OLAP platforms as well as other EDW's such as Oracle and Teradata. My first experience with Vertica was at a trading firm which provided real-time market data to traders.

You won't find much published material on this platform like there is for Oracle or SQL Server. The book you mentioned was the first that was actually released. You can read my review of it here.

This forum is an excellent resource which has experienced professionals as well as users that are new to the platform. Vertica has it's own official community. There's also various blogs such as vertica.tips (self plug), verticablog.com, vertica-solutions.com, and DWH Guy (I probably missed a couple).

The nice thing about Vertica is it comes with a Community License allowing you to play around with up to 1 TB of data. It runs on most Linux OS' and you can also download VM images from Vertica's Marketplace.
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

kodakalla

Post by kodakalla » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Thank you very much Nobertk.You gave me lot of useful information. You are right. I couldn't find much literature similar to oracle, but I understand this is a new kid in the family :)
i am excited to learn Vertica quickly and get certified too. I will certainly read every post here in this forum, and probably contribute in few months too.
Can't wait to read whatever you mentioned quickly.

Thanks again
Giri

kodakalla

Post by kodakalla » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:29 pm

I didn't explore this forum completely. but your reply can become a sticky post for beginners i think.
Thx again

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Post by NorbertKrupa » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:35 pm

Forgot to mention the the official documentation. Version 7.1 will be released in the next few weeks.
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

RCasey

Post by RCasey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Another newbie to the Vertica platform!
I appreciate your links and comments as well.
--RCasey

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:14 am

I put together this document which helped my team learn about Vertica and prepare for the HP2 M36 exam 8-) Just a bunch of info. from the docs.
Attachments
Vertica HP2-M36 Exam Study Guide-1.docx
(99.53 KiB) Downloaded 1515 times
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “New to Vertica”