WOS and ROS

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

rexma

WOS and ROS

Post by rexma » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:40 pm

WOS contained UnCommited data or Both?
Mergeout Happened only in ROS or ROS and Tuple mover?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WOS and ROS

Post by JimKnicely » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi,
WOS contained UnCommited data or Both?
The WOS can contain both committed and uncommitted data. Data is written to the ROS during a moveout which"flushes" all historical data from the WOS to the ROS. There are three parameters that control when this happens (MoveOutInterval, MoveOutMaxAgeTime and MoveOutSizePct).
Mergeout Happened only in ROS or ROS and Tuple mover?
The Tuple Mover is responsible for performing the Mergeout which is the process of consolidating ROS containers and purging deleted records.

I hope this helps!
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

sarah
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by sarah » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:23 am

Hi,

If the WOS contains committed data then what happens when the node crashes? Will I lose the committed information?!?! That seems dangerous!
Have a GREAT day!

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Sarah,

Data in the WOS is distributed across the cluster nodes via buddy projections! So if one node fails, its in-memory data will be safely available in one of your other nodes :D This is one of the reasons Vertica is said to be "Highly Available"!
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

vicky

Post by vicky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Can someone explain me whether the projections exist physically or not and if they exist why are they not stored in containers if unpartitioned .Why are only partitioned projections stored in the containers ??And what is ros_id ??Does it indicate the container?? I am totally confused ...Answer would be highly appreciated...!!!Thankyou

Return to “New to Vertica”